Saturday 30 June 2007

Wish me luck

Jakkar, my comrade and beloved brother.

Thank you, brother, for your letter. It was good to imagine your deep, clear voice resounding in my head. I am well, and I hope you are too. And I truly hope that our well-being will last, though the odds are stacked against it.

It pains me no less that I am leaving. If I could, I would have stayed in Aedila, where life is secure and carefree, safe and sound in ignorant bliss. But it is not to be. Destiny and duty calls.

Do not worry for me, or for my safety. You know as well as I do that Father, for all his shortcomings, taught us well and truly how to take care of ourselves. Indeed, if it was not for him, I wouldn't have the strength or the courage to attempt this quest. But let us not speak further about him. Let sleeping dogs lie.

I thank thee also for your advice, brother. But what you told me I already knew. But then you already knew that I knew, didn't you? I will indeed travel as a mercenary, but I'm afraid Kramr's Valley is unavoidable. All the other routes are watched too closely. I would rather brave a few mountain wolves than risk detection so early into my quest. But do not worry, my skill of Animal Kinship is as strong as ever.

But I must admit I'm afraid, brother. Not of the journey to Crydan's kingdom, but of what lies in store for me in the Wolf King's court. You know as well as I do Crydan's view of women. Diplomacy, courtesy, and etiquette may not be enough for me to even resist his depradations, what more to say persuade him to risk almost certain death. But I will do what I must.

Do not fear, brother, I have no intention of dying before you do. It may ease your worries to know that Rievan is coming with me. He will be no use in a fight, I'm afraid, but his companionship will be a steadying hand to me. His quick mind will also be welcome as we attempt to slip through the Krayt's network of spies.

Lastly, but by far not the least, there is a rumour that a new Hero has arisen in the east. An Eldritch Knight with great power is said to have crossed the Endless Sea, in preparation for the Turning of an Age. I will seek him out when I get to Crydan's kingdom.

Stay safe, brother, and may your sword never stop shining and your arm never grow weak. Hold on till I return. I may carry the hope of our people, but I will need a people to return hope to. Be the Shining One that was foretold.

Your angel and sister,
Correa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The author is really cool. But some of the commentators are just posting stupid words.