Tuesday 10 July 2007

Alpha, not omega.

*not an original Edenia post

I am from.....

I am from thunderstorms, from C. Steinbert, from verdant fields dotted with wildflowers and shy grass.

I am from the white parsonage next to the church surrounded by pine trees rustling in the breeze. I am from the rainbow God paints so beautifully, the zig-zagged paths of the dragonflies, the little flower that opens, the little bird that sings. I am from the fuzzy wuzzy caterpillar, the great twilight moths and the fireflies in the evening. From the sunset that sets the sky aflame, from frangipanis that looked divine tucked in little girls’ hair.

I am from the tinkling piano, doodles with Crayola crayons and cuddling with a good book till the lights go out. I am from toothless grins, twirling skirts and plaited hair. From enchanting fairy princesses and starlit nights and fantasizing about marrying my prince someday.

I am from jump-rope and smooth stones and playing hopscotch until recess is over. I am from the delightful set of swings hanging from chains and bike rides (with no hands!) and lego bricks. I am from trees growing in your stomach if you swallow the seeds and a bit of dirt.

I am from family gatherings potluck style, praying for parking spaces and pillow fights. I am from Sunday evenings spent with cousins hiding-and-seeking, monopoly and straying about the wild outdoors.

I am from churchgoers and readers and musicians, from Ho Hon and Mary and Michael and Adeline and Ben and Fiona. I am from inquisitive minds, and skilled hands, and loving hearts. From a tidal wave of love and laughter.

I am from Christmas Eve at my grandparents’ house – sparkling little faces so full of joy and the table arrayed with a glorious feast and gifts piled waist high and carols emanating from strong vibratos with heart-filled gratitude for the Bethlehem babe.

From “Jesus loves me this I know” and “don’t wear that, it’s indecent”.
From “we only expect you to do your best” and “all things work together”.

I am from Christians who trust God and follow Him in spite of the heartaches and difficulties life throws at them. From bedside prayers, and giving thanks for the food, and praying for tummy aches to go away.

I am from the grandma who snuck in a baby bottle for me (with some gentle persuasion from my part) when mum announced it was high time I stopped drinking from it. From baking sessions with my grandmas whilst listening to their quaint talk about stories of the past. From fishing trips to Matang, and learning how to sow seeds, and building castles by the seaside. From mummy’s exquisite smoking dresses, and daddy’s ambrosial dishes, and grandpa’s poetry as deep and lush as trumpet bells.

I am from caring for a most beloved sister, late nights of Barney and musicals.
From lovable destructo spaniels and wet puppy kisses.

From white-paged photo albums where precious pictures were placed with loving hands, and family and faith were valued above all the rust-gathering trinkets that any amount of money could buy.

-Abigail Yong-

*Abby, if you're reading this, I hope you don't mind a lil' bit of plagiarism here. *wink* But its just too good.

No comments: