Tuesday 4 December 2007

Hello?

Hey.

It's me. Only me. Nothing to be afraid of.

I remember staring at you as you lay asleep. So calm, so peaceful. Unafraid. You'd smile unexpectedly, dreaming sweet dreams. And with you at peace, so was I.

What happened to those days? Those days of sweet, peaceful, beautiful sleep? Why do nightmares now haunt us, even beyond our waking dreams? What has changed?

You sleep now in distress. Every night, you toss and turn, muttering softly. Every night, your eyes open suddenly in unconscious fear, a strangled scream on your lips. And even when you're awake, I see the nightmare haunting you. The way you turn suddenly, so easily startled by shadows. The way you stop and pause to listen before turning every corner. The way you constantly scrutinize your surroundings, as if someone was hiding in the shadows. I see it in your fear-filled eyes. I see it in your every action, in every nervous tap of your foot, in every twitch of your fingers. I smell it in the scent of your hair, in your sweet but hastened breath. I feel it when I touch your cold hand, when you grip mine uncertainly. I see the fear.

Can you not tell me what it is? This silent, unseen, but all-pervading fear? Why do you turn away from my questioning eyes? Why do you ignore my concerned questions? Even if I cannot help, I want to share the burden. I want to share the fear, and stand by your side as you face it. Will you not let me do that? Will you ignore my love?

Now my dreams are restless too. Restless with concern, restless with fear. Your nightmares speak to me silently, and I cannot ignore them. But I do not begrudge you my peaceful sleep. I'd give it up willingly to aid your fight against the darkness. And so I have, but to no avail. The darkness remains unnamed.

Wait. WAIT. It's not me, is it? Am I the cause of your fear??? No? NO??? Why did you suddenly shrink away from me??? Why did your face suddenly change? Why did.... No. No! NOOO!!!!

I'msorryI'msorrryI'msorryI'msorry. Forgivemeforgivemeforgivemeforgiveme.

PLEASE!!!!

It's too late.

Too late.

No comments: