Thursday 3 January 2008

She's leaving?

'Tis the season to be merry, they always say.

But right now, it is time for another story. Actually, two stories. Short ones - you can breathe easy now. Possibly sad and depressing. It seems that sad, depressing stories about loved ones leaving or dying seems to be the rage lately. Hmm...

Here's how they went:


=== Story begins===

"Hey, since it's only two of us here, let me share something with you," said my friend.

I lowered my book and nodded my agreement to lend him my ears.

"Last night, I walked Veronica back home. On the way back, she told me about her dreams, her ambitions," he began.

Something's wrong....
I could sense it.

I slowly leaned forward to show my attention. When it comes to Veronica, this particular friend of mine becomes - I don't know, uhm.. - sensitive, protective, melancholy, excited; to me, symptoms of love.

Oh yes, my friend is in love. They met over two years ago. He and Veronica spend hours together. Music, sports, even studying together. Our circle of friends could tell that there was something special going on between those two.

"And, from what she told me, this academy isn't exactly the place for her. I mean, if she wants to pursue her dreams, this academy isn't the right place," he continued.

My dear friend, I think I understand how you feel... I thought to myself.

"She told me that it's highly likely that she's going to leave," said my friend, disappointment evident in his voice.

Then there was silence.

"Do you know the feeling? You know, it's so disappointing somehow, and heartbreaking. You know what I mean? When you've worked so hard for something, and then it just gets taken away from you," he said.

I nodded. "Yes, I do. I do," I replied.

"I talked to my mother about this, about Veronica leaving..." my friend said. "I actually cried over this matter."
Yes dear friend, I understand how you feel... I thought to myself again.

"I.. I.. I just, I just don't know what to do," he said with a tone of resignation.

***

That was over a month ago. Until now, we still don't know if Veronica's tentative decision to leave has been finalized.

=== Story ends ===




Here’s my own story.

=== Story begins ===

“What’s that you’re drawing?” she asked me.

I smiled at her, but I didn’t answer her question. I looked at her as a small frown formed on her forehead as she tried to guess.

“Haha, it’s so cute!” Angelica exclaimed. Her childish smile set my heart aglow.

“That’s me,” I said.

“Hmph!” she said as she made a face at me.

She quickly scribbled something on her book and showed it to me.

“Hah! This is cuter, and this is ME!” she boasted.

I couldn’t help but to just smile to see her being so childish and cheerful. She’s always been that way, but somehow it’s different when she’s with me. When she’s with our other friends, she’s sort of normal, but when she’s with me, I can sort of feel that I’m getting some sort of special treatment.

But that’s not why I’m so attracted to her.

Maybe it’s her looks – everyone agrees that she’s very pretty.
Or maybe because she’s really good at dancing.
Or maybe because of her never-ending lame jokes.
Or maybe because she talks nonstop just like me.
Or maybe because we share the same favourite colour.
Or maybe because we’re both SO in love with chocolate.
Or maybe because she said, “I CANNOT live without meat.” (I love eating and I live to eat, by the way.)


No no no... She treats me as her older brother, and I’d expect her to want me to treat her as a sister in return.

But I think she likes me... If she doesn’t, then why does she spent ALL of her spare time with me instead of other guys?

No no no... I must be imagining it... We've only met for a month, and we barely know each other. And she's from another place far away from where I am. Plus, she's moving to another place even further from here soon.

“Hey, Angelica, let’s take a picture together!” said a friend.

“Okay!” she answered.

“Can you help us capture it?” my friend asked me.

I smiled. “Sure!”
Nothing wrong with letting her take a picture with another guy. She’s not my girlfriend or anything. Right????

“Make sure you get the trees at the back as well,” my friend requested.

“Sure! Now, smile!” I said, as I concentrated on forming the images of the two faces on a piece of paper.

“Done!” I said.

“Let’s take a look!” said Angelica.

“Hey, my face is all blurred,” commented my friend. “And Angie’s face is all... radiant.”

I blushed slightly.

“Oh, I’m so sorry. I must’ve...” I sputtered.

“You need to work on your magic buddy,” said my friend as he laughed and slapped my back. "Not to worry. We'll take another one later."

“Hey, take one with me!” Angelica asked me, as she tugged at my sleeve.

I declined.

“Oh... Okay then,” she said with a voice slightly tinged with disappointment.


On the following morning, she and I went to a nearby town together for a little window-shopping and sightseeing. She suggested we try to have some fun before she leaves for her home in the afternoon.


"Oooh! Look at this bracelet! It's beautiful!"

"My goodness! That statue is scary..."

"No, I DO NOT want to try that.. that... biscuit..?"

"Oh bother! I spilt my juice..."


I smiled, as always, as I watched her little antics and listened to her talk nonstop.

Soon it was three hours past midday, and she had to leave. I helped her with her suitcase, and I walked her to the harbour where her ship was anchored at.


"So, I guess this is it," I said. My heart began to feel heavy.

"Yes, I believe so. I'm leaving," she said.

"It's been great to have you here," I said, feeling awkward all of a sudden.

"I might come back and visit you again," she said optimistically. "This place is fun, especially with you around."

"You'd better get on board," I said, gently leading her onto the gangway.


Suddenly, a rough hand landed on my shoulder and spun me around.

"You must come now!" said the man.

My eyes bulged, then narrowed as my mind was filled with apprehension. And I sped off with the man.





I didn't even say goodbye. It would have been my last goodbye, but I didn't say it.

Now, I won't see her ever again.



Here I am sitting, thinking about one of our conversations.

"You'll forget me someday. I just know it," I said.

"No no no! Of course I'll remember you! You're the first person to ever give me chocolates! Expensive ones too!" she exclaimed.

"We'll see about that," I answered.

"Why do you treat me so nicely?" she asked.

"What do you mean? I treat you the way I treat everyone else," I replied.

"Well, I just feel that you're very nice and sweet to me," she said.

I merely smiled.

"Don't treat me sooo nicely. Aren't you afraid that I would fall in love with you?"


Dammit, I miss her so much. Tears begin to fall down my cheek.


=== Story ends ===


I can't help it but feel that it's so funny.
My friend's sweetheart is leaving. Mine left already. I've got at least three friends writing stories about heartbreaks.

'Tis the season to be merry. Bah.


Somehow, this new year isn't good enough a reason to feel happy.


-Ramblings of a drunkard. Documented by ArchMage BenGarth.

No comments: