Sunday 16 March 2008

Homecoming

James

The sea breeze felt cool against the skin of my face. I let the warm, salty smell of the sea envelope me in its comfort. The sea that had kept us apart for so long, but the sea that was also now bringing me back. To her.

We were very near land now. We couldn't be more than three hours away. I could hear the seagulls screaming overhead, welcoming me home.

I went back into the cabin and sat. For some strange reason I felt nervous. I twiddled my thumbs and ran my hand through my hair. I fixed her image in my mind. The image that I had cherished in my memory. We were still best friends, then. Her smile lit up the entire room. I wondered if she had changed. Would she look the same, smell the same, feel the same?

I closed my eyes and leaned back, reveling in the memories of her.

***

The ship blared its horn and I woke up with a start. Looking up the window, I saw that we were docked already. I felt disappointed with myself. I had wanted to be on deck when we neared the shore, so that I could try spotting her in the crowd, to ease my anxiousness. I had wanted to be the first to spot her, to be able to fix in my mind the memory of her drawing closer as the ship neared. But it was too late for that now.

Gingerly I grabbed my carry-on and stood up. The deck was crowded with passengers attempting to disembark. I joined the throng, but my mind was far away. All that I could think of was the mass of people below, those who had come to meet the ship. Somewhere among them was Diana, waiting for me. Waiting for ME.

Forcing myself to move unhurriedly, I made my way to the gangplank. I tried to paste a nonchalant expression on my face but could only manage a silly grin. I reached the bottom and looked around, wondering why I hadn't spotted her by now. Then I saw her, and the silly grin became a nervous smile.

She approached me, smiling like an angel. I tried to say something but could not, so tongue-tied was I in her presence. I marveled at her peace of mind.

"Hey," she said pleasantly. She looked at me expectantly. I was about to raise my hand in reply when I noticed she was blushing. Her normally fair face was pale pink, giving away her own apprehension. All of a sudden my nervousness melted away, and I grinned, then chuckled. Diana was not a girl easily taken with apprehension. She smiled, though her eyes were questioning.

"You're blushing," I said. She continued smiling but blushed even deeper at my words. She opened her mouth to say something in return but I enveloped her in a hug before she said another word. I felt her stiffen in surprise, then she softened and hugged me back tightly.

"I missed you," I whispered into her ear, but it came out as a strangled "Mrsshu". She pulled away and looked at me quizzically. "You said something?"

I looked up, took a deep breath, then looked back at her.

"I missed you."

This time it came out right, but I felt my face starting to heat up. She smiled, and playfully touched my nose.

"Who's blushing now?" she asked with a grin.

I smiled, and hugged her again.

I was home.

No comments: