Sunday 15 June 2008

Far (part 3 - End)

As soon as I regained consciousness, I slowly got up into a sitting position. I was still in the same room, but alone this time. I sighed as I recalled Ben-Garth’s effort to “cheer me up”. Perhaps he thought I still had my long-gone promiscuous habits because when I was younger, beautiful women seemed to always take my mind off my problems. But not anymore – I had gotten married and I had a son... HAD a son...

Seth...

I loved him with all my heart. When he was a boy, I would play with him. Running in the fields, exploring the woods, swimming and fishing in brooks, practising magic... But as he grew, we drifted apart. I had to maintain a “macho”, steely outward appearance because it was needed, he needed to become a man on his own, and I believed he had it in him. I mean, come on, he’s my son, is he not?

But his becoming a man at the cost of our relationship... I wonder if my decision was the wiser one...

About 20 years ago, my son sent me a letter while he was at a faraway land. Here was how it went:

“Father,

Happy Father’s Day! I want you to know that I respect you. You are such a responsible and strong father, and I really appreciate that. I always look to you for guidance and I know you won’t fail me. Thank you for everything, father. I love you, my mentor and father.

Your son,

Seth.”

Well, it was more of a note than a letter but the length wasn’t an issue for me. That note brought me to tears because for the first time in a very very long time...I felt like a father, I felt like I had a son! I was a father – my pride restored!

I replied with a note which was almost just as short:

“Dear Son,

Thank you so much for the letter. I love you too, and I’m so proud of you! Keep working hard at whatever you do. Put your back into it!

Your father,

Asheroth.”

It took all the strength in me to pen down the word “love” because it would reveal the parts of me that have lain dormant for decades but now have been resurrected by my son’s note. A few years passed since that Father’s Day, and I was at the docks waiting for my son, hours before his ship’s arrival. Finally, after a long and patient wait, his ship came in and the gangplank was extended. As the passengers trickled out of the ship and passed by me, I craned my neck to catch sight of my son. And ho, there he was, the last one to get off the ship. He saw me too, and his face broke into a smile. Hurriedly, he half-dragged, half-carried his massive suitcase as he rushed towards me. I started walking towards him, yearning for our embrace.

He dropped his suitcase and began to run. And he was waving frantically. I spun on my heels, and time slowed down...

Poison dart... Too late...

The dart pierced my forehead between my eyes, and my body fell limp to the ground. People screamed and scattered in fear.

BIND!

I immobilized the assassin and pulled his mask off, revealing a very shocked face. I did not recognize him, and to my surprise he did not have a tattoo on his left cheek. Assassins were mercenaries, and each guild had their own tattoo.

“Nice shot, but that was my clone,” I told him coolly. “Now tell me, who sent you?”

He started to mumble some words.

“What? Speak up!” I shouted in his ear as I shook him roughly. I was very perplexed at that time because someone wanting me dead...was a very odd notion. Something fishy was going on!

The unmasked assassin continued mumbling, and I realised that he was repeating his words.

Curses, he’s chanting! No!

I barely managed to push him as far away from me as possible before I jumped aside to avoid the explosion. Who in the Blazes of Hell came with the idea of a suicide bomber? But why? WHY? WHY? WHY???

My head was ringing, and I was temporarily deaf. I couldn’t see properly. All I could do was lie on the ground, groaning and trying to make some sense of my surroundings. Seth rushed to my side.

“Father! Are you alright?” he asked worriedly.

“What a clever question...” I muttered.

He smiled apologetically and replied, “Well, your sarcasm is still intact, so I guess you’re pretty fine.”

“That’s a very clever answer too,” I told him.

He sighed, slight frustration showing in his face. I cackled, and then coughed in pain because my chest was hurt by the blow from the blast.

“What’s the point behind all this?” asked Seth, as he slowly propped me up into a sitting position.

“I don’t know. A dart, then a suicide bomber? Targeted at me?” I said. The pain was slowly dissipating as my son used a healing spell on me.

“Save your energy, son,” I wanted to say but before I could utter a word...

Someone cast a spell!

A bolt of lightning zoomed towards us and it barely missed me, but it hit Seth and sent him flying into a wall almost ten feet away. Seth slammed into the wall, cracking it and he fell to the floor. On all fours, he coughed blood. His elbows shook then it gave way and he toppled.

“SETH!!!!” I called out.

I got up into a battle stance, ready to reap whatever arcane energy needed to defend ourselves and to capture the attacker. As I rushed towards my son’s motionless body, I watched the strands of energy in the area, watching for any minute changes in the flow that would betray the hidden attacker’s position.

“Come out and face me, magician!” I shouted. “Duel me!”

Still nothing happened. He must have fled. After a few moments, I decided to let my guard down in order to tend to my son. I started to weave the healing spell when he put his hands on mine, halting my progress. He knew it as much as I did. His internal wounds were beyond repair. Death was imminent. Death was sure.

Damn it!

I took him in my arm and tears welled in my eyes. My son, my son... My negligence caused all this. No, no, no...

“You know what Father... When you replied my letter, for the first time in a very very long time, I felt like I had a father,” Seth struggled to speak in between coughs. He smiled, as beads of tears flowed down his bloody cheeks.

“Asheroth...”

I turned and saw Lady Sixor.

“I am most grieved by the loss of your offspring’s life, not only because I fathom your feelings, but also because of a greater cause. However, I am not at liberty to disclose to you the reason behind all these tragic events.”

I clenched my jaws and fists. Greater cause? She reached out her right hand with her palm facing upwards, and gently flicked her fingers.

Then life left Seth’s body.

I buried Seth myself. And I wondered if I ought to feel any anger or hatred. Vengeance? I don’t know, I was just... numb. I bought myself some new clothes, and burned my blood-stained ones. When I got home, Es-Qara asked me where our son was. I lied to her, saying that he never came back. I assumed that she didn’t believe me because she didn’t ask anything else.

“Asheroth?” Ben-Garth called out to me, waking me from my reminiscing. He and Reuben entered the room.

“Don’t say sorry,” I said. “Just give me my clothes back.”

Camelia walked in with a cake in her hands. It had a long, lighted candle.

“As an apology,” she said demurely, sincerity showing.

I sighed and waved them over.

I blew the candle and cut the cake.

Happy Father’s Day, Asheroth.

No comments: