Monday 17 December 2007

Saviour (part 2)

“Where are we going?”

“We’re meeting someone,” the reply came. His movements were silent; his entire self exudes strength, agility, grace and finesse.

“Is it far?”

He spun abruptly and I stood toe to toe with him. I blushed as his green eyes met mine.

I slowly tiptoed – my whole body was tingling, longing to kiss him.

“Seth,” a voice suddenly called out, instantly ending my attempt to lay my lips on his.

The man in front of me, or Seth, cleared his throat and stepped away to greet the stranger with a firm handshake and brisk embrace.

“That’s your name?” I spoke out. “Seth?”

My savior nodded slightly.

“What is yours?” asked the stranger.

I hesitated. Seth reassured me by giving me a quick smile.

Then I answered, “Ara.”

The man nodded. “Well done, son.”

“I would never fail – failure is not an option in our campaign,” replied Seth grimly.

The man sighed. “Too true,” he said. He sighed again. I’m getting too old for this.

“What’s going on?” I asked. Suddenly I was scared. Beads of sweat began forming on my forehead.

“My name is Asheroth,” said the man. “Seth is my son.”

My heart raced. Asheroth? Why does it sound so familiar?

“Your real name is Es-Qara. Mother of Seth the Eternal, Wife of Asheroth the Magician.”

Silence gripped me. My saviour, who has so smitten me, is my son. My heart sank with bittersweetness.

“Of course, you wouldn’t believe me. But we need to do something very important now.”

“Yes. Mother, where is your necklace?” said Seth.

I touched my neck – the necklace wasn’t there. “The pimp, he’s taken it,” I said.

Asheroth threw a dark look at Seth.

Seth reached into his pocket and took out a gold necklace. “Failure is not an option,” he said.

Asheroth smiled apologetically as he took the necklace. “Sorry.”

“What are you going to do with it?” I asked.

“This,” said Asheroth casually. His face turned serious and he mumbled a string of unintelligible words. Suddenly the night air was still, then it was full of energy.

Next thing I remembered was a bright flash and I passed out.

While I was unconscious, I had dreams. Pictures, documents, people, voices, pain, joy, victory, loss, darkness, evil, children, huts, fields, plains, mountains, drychnaths, sailing, flying, screams of terror, clanging of steel against steel, Snow People… A multitude of familiar images and sounds all scrambled together. Giddying... cacophonous myriad of memories…

And suddenly I woke up.

“Did Seal follow you all the way here?” I asked Seth.

“That’s fast,” commented Asheroth. "Somehow she's always business, your mother."

“Hush husband.”

“Welcome back, Lady Es-Qara,” said Seth, bowing slightly.

I rolled my eyes. “Just answer me please.”

“Here we go. Again,” said Asheroth, throwing his arms into the air with mock exasperation.

He flinched as I pinched him.

No comments: