Friday 21 December 2007

Saviour (part 3)

"Not a sound," whispered Asheroth suddenly, cutting me off before I could say another word.

Seth and Asheroth grunted and hummed and exchanged annoying, unintelligible noises.

All of a sudden a bright flash of lightning struck a nearby tree, setting it on fire.

"Now?" asked Seth as he nimbly dodged the collapsing, burning tree.

"Wait," came the reply.

"Mother?" Seth called out with a slight hint of concern.

"I'll be fine," I reassured him.

"Where's he?" said Asheroth.

Another lightning came and this one nearly hit me. I teleported away to a relatively safer place, just in time.

"The south!" I cried out.

"Now?" asked Seth again.

"Wait," answered Asheroth.

What? I thought to myself. Fine, I'll do it.

Immediately, I collected energy and...
Asheroth stopped me. Something different in his eyes. I let my energy dissipate.

"Watch out!"

We leapt aside to dodge another lightning.

"East now, nearer too," I said.

"Now?" asked Seth.

Asheroth merely nodded.

To my utmost surpirse, Seth started to glow, and wings began to sprout from behind him. In a blink of an eye, he spread his wings and flew.

"Husband, why does my son have wings?" I asked Asheroth as I looked at him darkly.

He cleared his throat. "Well... We better get going and leave those boys to settle their business."

"How in the name of the Twelve Skies did he become a Northerner?"

"Uh-huh.. Let's go," he said, his face becoming unreadable.

"That's not really Seth, is it?"

"No."

"Then who was that young man?" I demanded, tears forming in my eyes.

"A Hybrid look-alike."

"A Hybrid?" The emergence of a Hybrid... The Northern Empire must be in great turmoil!

"Shall we leave now? We can talk on the way. Besides, King Gerald would probably want to see you."

I stood motionless. There were sounds of trees and rocks crashing in the distance.

"Those boys have grown up, haven't they? Hmm... Shall we leave now?"

I took Asheroth's hand.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Taking us to King Gerald. We need to get to him, fast. Are you gonna help me?"

"You're nuts. Have you any idea how far away his castle is from here?" he said.

"Yes, to both questions. Now, will you please focus?"

"They'd better listen to us when we get there," mumbled Asheroth. "I can get really scary when I'm tired."

Arcane energy swirled around us as the sounds of explosions and crashing continued ringing through the night air.

No comments: