Sunday 6 January 2008

Why did you lie?

"...so Bobby's going to be fine. She just has to keep an eye on him."
"Uhm."

I suppressed an exasperated sigh, trying to keep my tone nonchalant as I lowered the menu and looked at him. His face unreadable, he stared down at the menu. He'd been staring at the same spot - No. 21 Cappucino Latte - for a few minutes now. Almost as if he was observing some change in those letters. This had to be the ninth time he replied me with an "uhm".

"Oh, and they also found an elephant in their fridge stealing their cheese and milk."
"So what about the ele-"

I'd slid into his couch before he realized what he'd said and started. He turned to face me like a dazed man who'd barely woken up from a dream.

"You're distracted."

I loosened his tie and sat back.

"Wanna talk about it?"
"It's nothing."
"Relax. Come on, something's bothering you."

I moved closer and angled myself into a position to massage his shoulders. He shrugged me off gently. I recoiled as though I'd been slapped. Something was really wrong. Something I didn't know about. Something he didn't want me to know about. I tried again in a calmer, steadier tone, swallowing my displeasure and keeping my hands to myself this time.

"Hey, I know something's wrong. You don't have to lie to me, you know? What's going on?"
"Never mind. Have you decided what you want? Maybe we should place our orders now."

I went back to my side of the couch, my imagination running wild with all sorts of unpleasant notions. I hated it when he did that. I hated the insecurity that came with being unsure; I hated knowing I wasn't privy to his thoughts. I hated feeling like I was being pushy. I hated feeling like I was losing touch...losing touch...losing touch...

No. No.

I woke up with a start, my heart beating rapidly. It was just a dream. Just a nightmare. Just paranoia. Just...nothing.

Or wasn't it?

-Maia-

[Author's note : The above piece is fiction, except for the parts that aren't. Some exaggerated. Some down-played. Lol.]

No comments: