Tuesday 19 February 2008

Betrayal

James

"What have I gone and done this time?" I thought to myself as I stood in front the gates of hell. I combed through my memory, searching for an inkling as to what I might have done that would grant me this lovely meeting out of the blue. 'Come see me. I will expect you in my study before dinner. Be on time.' The 'invitation note' that I received wasn't very inviting. Nor did it give away any clues as to what I was in for.

I took a deep breath and decided to get it over with. I couldn't avoid him even if I decided to flee the country. I knocked reluctantly on the door, I wasn't exactly in the best of moods to see the person on the other side.

"Come in," I heard his voice echo through the thick slab of wood that separated us, for now.

I turned the doorknob and walked in gingerly.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" I asked the man dressed in an expensive tailored suit. He was standing in front of a roaring fireplace, with a glass of whiskey already in hand. He set the glass down and came to greet me.

"Ah, James," the man exclaimed as he extended his right hand to me, I shook it. No hugs, no pats on the back, no "Welcome back! How are you doing, son?", just a formal handshake. I wonder how many fathers greet their sons with such formality.

"I need to discuss something rather important with you, James," he sat himself down in an armchair and motioned for me to do the same.

The man hadn't changed one bit, everything was still all business to him. Never sparing a minute for anything else.

"I hear that you've been spending a lot of time with a new girl?" he probed and continued, "Diana? Or was it Donna?"

"Diana," I corrected him automatically. "What about her?" my tone was that of a defensive one.

I was getting anxious, I didn't like the direction this conversation was going. Why were we even talking about her? I may not have the best intuition in town, but my gut could forefeel bad news.

"Well, son.." he began, "I'd rather you not spend so much time with her."

Hold up.. what did he just say? Did he just forbid me from being friends with Diana?

"May I ask why?" I wanted to hear his logic behind his ludicrous "request". In his book, "request" meant the same thing as "order".

"I have reason to believe she has an ulterior motive," he replied, taking a sip from his glass.

"Oh?" Now I was really paying attention.

"She's using you, she's toying with your friendship, hoping you'll open up to her and leak all the information she needs," my father said, with disgust in his voice.

'What in the world is he rambling on about this time?' I thought to myself angrily. 'He's making her sound like some sort of a heartless spy'.

"What do you mean?" I was trying very hard to not let my wrath seep out.

"Her father works for my competitor. Our rival! Has she let you in on that?" he challenged. I looked on as he rubbed his temples slowly, as though he was having a massive headache.

I felt a hard blow to my chest. She never said anything about her father's profession.. but then again, I never bothered to ask either..

"Well, no. We haven't really talked all that much about our families yet," I decided to defend her. "She doesn't even know you're my father, I haven't said a word."

"I'd say she conveniently left all those details out for you..." he started, "And James, I'm pretty sure she isn't as naive and innocent as you'd like to think," he added.

"Do you have evidence, sir? For your accusations, that is," He couldn't possibly flat out make fluff up, right?

"Don't worry. I've gone to the trouble of doing a background check on her," my father said, with a smug grin playing on his mouth.

"And according to my sources, she is already seeing somebody else. Of course, she has yet to tell you this too, I assume."

I was rendered speechless at this point. I focused my eyes on the deer head that hung to the brick-wall above the fireplace, the sight of that.. thing.. disgusted me. I really didn't feel like dwelling on my thoughts anymore...

"Diana would never do such a thing without telling me.." I convinced myself, silently.

I was almost certain of it at first but now.. doubts began to cloud my mind. "..would she?"

"I just don't want to see you get hurt, son," my dad said, his voice laced with seemingly sincere concern.

I nodded.

"She's no good for you. Stick with Angela, I know you love her," he said to me as he took another sip from his glass.

I nodded some more. Digesting all this made me feel sick to my stomach. I felt disgusted at how easily my father could read my feelings. I didn't think anyone would notice that I was falling for my best friend.

"Besides, I'm your father. If you can't trust me, who can you trust? And would I ever lie to you?"

More nodding. "I guess you have a point," I sighed.

"That's my boy," he stood up and walked to where I was sitting, and gave me a rather awkward pat on the shoulder.

"Well, now that's settled, I really have to run," he said as he adjusted his tie. "Important dinner party," he took a final swig and polished off the remaining liquor in his glass.

I watched as he swaggered out of the room, leaving me behind to connect all the dots.

She's using me. She lied to me.

I couldn't believe it. How was I supposed to face her now?

-Rachel-

No comments: