Monday 29 September 2008

The Farewell.

I closed my eyes, breathing in the atmosphere.

The sun was dipping beneath the horizon, casting shadows of the couple seated on the bench just a stone's throw away. I didn't want my presence to be felt, yet was irresistably drawn to their silhouettes. I watched them whisper, laugh and sit in total silence at times, enjoying each other's warmth.

I sat and watched.

He shifted his body to face her and laced his fingers with hers. She remained in her original position, seemingly oblivious to his gaze of childlike adoration. Then she turned, and their eyes met. A smile slowly made its way across her face as their eyes twinkled in a shared understanding.

I felt like an intruder. But they didn't notice my presence.

The atmosphere turned solemn without warning. In low tones, he spoke with a downcast expression. Almost imperceptibly, she moved closer. As if she knew what was coming, and wanted to delay it as long as possible by keeping him close to her.

My heart went out to them.

The sun dipped beneath the horizon, and the cover of darkness fell. They took in their surroundings one last time, savouring every last moment of each other's presence. The rustling of the tree leaves in the breeze signaled the start of a drizzle.

The inevitable farewell loomed.

I rose, and walked over to them. I saw the desperation in her eyes, and the pleading in his. I felt the heartache, the numb resignation, the silent pleas for just one more second. Just one more. Just one more. I took her hand in mine, and firmly led her away.

He looked blankly ahead, unable to sort out his myriad of feelings.

I leaned down and whispered. He understood. She had to. And fate willing, the distance wouldn't change a thing between them.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Nice! As per usual of May. :D I like the descriptions.. very well written. =)
Geez, you made my heart heavy with sorrow for the couple. =( Sniff sniff.
Btw, is this an independent short story?

May said...

Haha, YES it is. Independent short story. Actually an abandoned project that i decided to take up again. xD

Btw, I'm glad I made you emo. xD May you FEEEEEEL for that couple. =P