Tuesday 14 October 2008

Sanctuary

"We're stranded," I said softly.

"Really?" She asked, moving up beside me.

"Look," I pointed. The stormy sea had risen more than ten feet, and waves were cascading over the narrow causeway that was our only link to the rest of the world.

From our lofty view at the top of the lighthouse, we watched in silence as the angry storm roared its challenge at the world. None but the wind answered, its howling voice matching the thundering crashes of thunder.

"How long will we be stuck here?" Her quiet question rose above the din outside.

"I don't know. A few days, probably. This storm looks pretty bad," I answered absently, my attention still drawn to the mighty display of force outside that Mother Nature had conjured.

Her touch was light as she gently linked her fingers with mine. I turned to look at her.

"Good," she said simply, as her face broke into a soft smile.

Turning back to face the storm, we watched quietly with our fingers linked, silent observers of the fury outside that, for all its might, could not tear down the peace that reigned in our little sanctuary.


To be continued...

No comments: